Friday, December 28, 2018

SLJ W2 D3 A3

Week 1
Day 3
Activity 3: The Midnight Zone [10 points]
For this activity imagine that we were moving a squid in to a new room at Te Papa and the
average adult can lift 25 kg and the average child can lift 15 kg. So how many adults and
children will it take to move the giant squid that is 495 kgs into its new room at Te Papa? [Note:
There is more than one right answer to this question.]
On my blog, I am telling you how I will solve this maths problem. I could write your
answer in words, use a Sketchpad image or post a video explaining how I would figure
it out. I have to be sure to give you my final answer. .

The first way I did it was to round it up to 500 kg then divide it by 25kg  which equaled 20
people. Then I had to change the 500 kg to 495 kg. I took away one adult which was 25kg
from the 500kg which then equaled 475kg.  The remaining 20kg needed couldn’t be divided
by the 15kg a child could carry, so I removed another adult to leave 45 kg to be divided
between 3 children.  So 18 adults and 3 children can carry the squid.
My final answer:
So 18 adults and 3 children can carry the squid!




1 comment:

  1. Greetings Jess,

    These colossal squids are unbelievable ginormous, aren't they?! It's crazy to think that we have such big creatures lurking in the depths of our oceans. The thought of it gets me a little nervous, how about you? Have you been to Wellington to visit the Te Papa museum before? I went there a few years ago and I was lucky to see the preserved colossal squid in real life. It was an extraordinary experience and I learnt so much about it from that one trip to the museum!

    That's a very clever way to solve the problem, well done Jess! Looks like we're going to need to find 18 strong adults and 3 strong children to help move this colossal squid to its new room at Te Papa. Do you think you'd want to touch it? I think it would feel quite slimy and I don't think I would want to find out.

    Keep up the hard work,
    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.