Wednesday, January 2, 2019

SLJ W3 D3 A1

Week 3

DAY 3: Taking Flight

Activity 1: Bird of the Year! [4 points]


Today I have to pick a bird and write a short description of the bird. Where does the bird normally
live? What does the bird normally eat?  Post a picture of the bird underneath my description.


The bird I am doing is the kea I picked the kea because I know a bite about
them because I live in the South Island and I go to Christchurch a lot and
you go over the alps to get there. If I stop at Arthurs pass they jump on
your car and if you leave something on it they will take it. I have not had
anything been taken besides sandwiches but once I sore these dinosaur
slippers on the ground and they were trying to take them. It was funny!


The kea is a cheeky bird they like to steal people’s things they are one of
the most intelligent birds on the planet. The kea usually live in the South
Island up in the alps (mountains). They are a parrot and they are the only
parrots in the alps. kea’s are omnivorous which mean they eat meat and
leaves but they also eat roots, berries, nectar, and insects.They are in
serious trouble because they are endangered with only a few thousand left.
Photo ‘Kea at Milford Sounds’ taken by Jess Stevenson Location Milford Sounds

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jess,

    Wow, I didn't know that you could get so close to these beautiful kea birds! I thought that you could only see them in the zoo or bird sanctuaries but I guess not. I really want to go to Arthur's Pass and see them in real life for myself now, I'm glad you mentioned it, thank you! I wonder what those kea birds would do with a pair of dinosaur slippers, they wouldn't even be able to fit them!

    I've learnt another new fact from you, I had no idea that the kea would be considered one of the most intelligent birds on the planet! Their feathers are absolutely gorgeous, aren't they? I love that you have taken that picture yourself (unless there's another person named Jess Stevenson haha). It looks like you got really close to them! Are they afraid of people approaching them? Do they eat food from your hand if you offer it to them?

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.