Friday, December 20, 2019

SLJ W1 D5 A2

Week 1
Day 5
Activity 2: Swimming to Safety [4 points]
For this activity, listen to the podcast of Yusra Mardini, or read her story on
her personal website.
On your blog, retell the story of this amazing young woman from Syria.


It is really weird that I just got the book ‘Good Night Stories For Rebel Girls’
earlier this week for a year 8 gift for finishing Kumara School. I have read a few
stories but not this one. When I watched the podcast was when I found out that I
had the book so I have read the story in my book as well.
Here is my retelling of the story:
Once there was a swimmer call Yusra. Who lived in Syria. She trained most days
with her sister and her dad at their local swimming pool but because they lived in
Siri and there was a war happening it became very dangerous where she lived.
One day a bomb hit their swimming pool. When she saw the destruction she was
devastated to see that her pool was ruined.


 Eventually the War started to come around her Neighborhood and it destroyed
her family’s home and they had nothing left. Her and her sister decided to flee the
country to a better country like Germany. They all new that it would be hard, but
not as hard as they thought. They were with the group of 20 refugees. 


One day they were  aboard a rubber dinghy. The boat was only meant for 6
people but they managed to fit 20 people in it.


 Suddenly the motor broke water was filling their boat, they were all throwing their
leftover belongings from Syria overboard to lighten the boat but nothing worked.
Yusra said ‘I can't die at sea I'm a swimmer’ so she jumped overboard with her
sister and two others (the only people that could swim on the boat). She went to
the front and started pulling. Her arm was very tired from pulling and gripping the
rope. After more than 3 hours swimming they saw land.


 When they made it they carried on trying to get to Germany but they got put in
many refugee camps but Yusra was determined to get to Germany and be able
to swim. After Crossing 9 countries they finally made it to Germany where she
lived with her family and she found a local swimming pool and she started
practicing the coaches knew she was good and thought she would eventually get
to the Olympic by 2020 but to take them by the surprised she was at the
Olympics in 2016 in the first refugee team ever to compete in the Olympics. She's
hoping to go to the 2020 Olympics as well.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jess
    I can see you have added things from the book. You have retold the story very well.
    Keep it up
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, thanks for the comment.
      yes I probably did add some things from the book. there were a few other stories out of the book that were in the SLJ so they must have got them from the book.
      keep up the comments
      Jess

      Delete
    2. Hi Jess
      What high school are you going to?
      Molly

      Delete
  2. Hi Jess

    You have done an amazing retelling of this story. It is great that you have added lots of the details too.
    It really is an amazing story to read.
    Had you heard about her and her story before this?

    It is hard to imagine what she has been through. But with great courage she has got there.
    I can remember seeing her at the last Olympics and I really do hope that she has been working hard and gets to go to the next ones in Tokyo.
    I always enjoy watching the swimming at the Olympics, I hope she does well.

    Another awesome job Jess. You are going really well. Keep up the commenting too.

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      thanks for the comment,
      no I hadn't herd of her before this but when I watched the podcast I recognised on the side that it was from the book that I had so I went and read it in the book after. I will look out in the Olympic this year to see her swim if she makes it in.
      thank you
      Jess

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.